Q Sciences Review: Brain & central nervous system formula
Q Sciences launched in 2013 and are based out of Utah in the US.
Heading up the company is Founder, President and CEO, Daren Hogge.
As per Hogge’s Q Sciences corporate bio;
In his 28 years in the network marketing industry, Daren Hogge has built a reputation as a dynamic leader with the ability to turn vision into reality.
Daren began his career as a CPA for Arthur Andersen LLP, where he served as a financial consultant to one of the founding companies in the network marketing industry.
It wasn’t long before the head of that company invited Daren to join the executive team as its Director of International Finance.
Daren later went on to become President, during which time the company opened new international markets and more than tripled its distributor force.
The company not named above is Nature’s Sunshine. Hogge (right) left the company in 2004.
Hogge went on to launch GoYin, which was sold off to Genesis Today in 2008. Hogge stayed on and, according to Lisa Young, a Q Sciences affiliate,
was able to guide this company into profitability in a very short period of time and sales grew every single month since the merger.
Genesis Today was relaunched as Genesis Pure in 2009, with Hogge serving as President up until 2012 (I couldn’t pinpoint the exact date). Q Sciences was launched a year later.
Read on for a full review of the Q Sciences MLM opportunity.
The Q Sciences Product Line
Q Sciences’ flagship product is EMPowerplus Q96.
Our headlining product provides CALM, COPING and CLARITY. This product is a proprietary formula for optimal mood stability and healthy brain function for an all around incredible you.
Q Sciences claim EMPowerplus Q96
supports mood stability, improved cognition, and overall brain health and function, (is) backed by scientific studies conducted at major universities in four countries, as well as research published in peer-reviewed journals (and) contains a well-balanced blend of 36 vitamins, minerals, and amino acids specially formulated for the brain and central nervous system.
EMPowerplus Q96 retails for $62.95 for a 30 day supply in capsules or $65.95 in tablets.
A 7 day “starter box” is also available for $25.95.
Other products Q Sciences market include:
- EMPowerplus Q96 Powder Formula – “all the benefits of EMPowerplus Q96, but in a tasty, powder formula” (retails at $89.95)
- HQO – “HQO water is rich in minerals, produces clean, delicious water free of chlorine and impurities, delivers strong antioxidant properties, and maximizes hydration at the cellular level” (retails at $4,495.95)
- Qssentials Packs (men and women) – “the happiest of packs, your Qssentials brings it all, big-time” (retails at $148.95)
- Qssentials Family – “a comprehensive daily dose of fundamental nutrition for improved brain function, digestive health, cellular function and overall wellbeing” (retails at $139.95)
- Qbiotics – “provides the lower GI tract with the active, beneficial bacteria it needs for optimal digestive health” (retails at $69.95)
- Q Amino Acids – “provides a total supply to your body’s systems” (retails at $44.95)
- Q Renew – “a deep clarifying and moisturizing gel that cleanses, rejuvenates, and gently exfoliates for smooth and supple skin” (retails at $54.95)
- Q Miracle Anti-Wrinkle Serum – “combats the inevitable aging process by hydrating the skin to reduce the unwanted appearance of wrinkles, creases, and fine lines” (retails at $74.95)
- Q Miracle Repair Cream – “protect your complexion against the harsh elements of the day and repair your skin while you sleep” (retails at $74.95)
- Q Vitalize – “a blend of herbs and amino acids for optimal vitality and energy” (retails at $49.95 with caffeine or $52.95 for caffeine free)
- Q Fiber – “fiber is essential to maximizing the body’s ability to absorb nutrients and eliminate toxins” (retails at $44.95)
- Q Cleanse – “packed with powerful herbal extracts designed to gently and effectively cleanse all body systems with emphasis on the liver and the rest of the digestive system” (retails at $39.95)
- Q Sprays – a range of vitamin sprays (retails at $19.95 each, $11.95 for 7-day version)
- Cellerciser – “burn fat and build muscle–safely–in just 10 minutes a day with this innovative product” (retails at 389.95 (bi-fold) or $528.95 (tri-fold))
- Q MindFit ith Porter Vision – “a powerfully effective brain/mind development tool designed to help you achieve physical, mental, and emotional balance”1
- Q Fit – a “weight management system” (retails at $119.95)
- eQuivalent+ with Xanthones – “Each shake contains the equivalent of a complete, balanced meal plus the additional nutrients and dietary supplements” (retails at $59.95)
- Q Omegas – “supercharge the natural benefits of essential omega-3 fatty acids” (retails at $39.95)
- Q Calcium with Magnesium – “a bone mineral supplement that reduces the risk of developing weak bones by providing balanced and highly absorbable restorative minerals necessary for healthy bone density” (retails at $49.95)
- Q Restore – “hydrates and soothes the skin while promoting natural healing for minor cuts, lacerations, abrasions, first and second degree burns, and skin irritations” (retails at $19.95)
- Q Pets – “total nutrition, total micronutrient support” for cats and dogs (retails at $39.95)
Retail pricing for Q Sciences products are not publicly available on their website without an affiliate referral code.
The Q Sciences Compensation Plan
Update 11th August 2018 – The compensation plan analysis below is out of date.
BehindMLM published an updated Q Sciences review in August 2018 that analyses the current Q Sciences compensation plan. /end update
The Q Sciences compensation plan is a healthy mix of retail and recruitment commissions.
Residuals are paid out via a unilevel compensation structure, with additional performance-based bonuses available.
In order to qualify for commissions, a Q Sciences affiliate must generate a minimum 40 PV each month.
PV stands for “Personal Volume” and is sales volume generated by an affiliate’s own product purchases and that of their retail customers.
Q Sciences Affiliate Ranks
There are thirteen affiliate ranks within the Q Sciences compensation plan.
Along with their respective qualification criteria, they are as follows:
- Q IBO – generate and maintain 100 PV and 100 GV and recruit and maintain at least one commission qualified affiliate
- Builder – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 375 GV a month and maintain at least one commission qualified affiliate
- Pro – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 750 GV a month and maintain at least one commission qualified affiliate
- Executive – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 1500 GV a month (max 1000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and recruit and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Elite – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 4500 GV a month (max 3000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Bronze – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 10,000 GV a month (max 7000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Silver – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 20,000 GV a month (max 13,000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Gold – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 40,000 GV a month (max 25,000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Platinum – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 80,000 GV a month (max 50,000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Ruby – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 150,000 GV a month (max 85,000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Emerald – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 300,000 GV a month (max 150,000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Diamond – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 600,000 GV a month (max 250,000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
- Crown – maintain 100 PV, have a downline generating at least 1,000,000 GV a month (max 400,000 GV from any one unilevel leg) and maintain at least two commission qualified affiliates
Q Sciences affiliates are paid a retail commission when retail customers purchase products.
Retail commissions are calculated as the difference between the wholesale and retail price of the product(s) purchased.
Affiliate Autoship Recruitment Commissions
If a Q Sciences affiliate recruits three affiliates who each have a 100 PV a month minimum monthly autoship, a $50 commission is paid out each month.
$50 continues to be paid out for as long as the affiliate maintains three recruited affiliates on 100 PV a month or more autoship.
Quick Start Bonus
The Quick Start Bonus pays a Q Sciences affiliate a bonus commission during their first 30 days with the company (replacing residual unilevel commissions).
The Quick Start Bonus is paid out on sales volume generated by newly recruited affiliates and retail customers, paid out down three levels of recruitment as follows:
- level 1 (personally recruited affiliates and retail customers) – 20%
- level 2 – 10%
- level 3 – 5%
Note that to earn on level 2 and 3, a Q Sciences affiliate must have generated 100 PV already.
Residual commissions in Q Sciences are paid out via a unilevel compensation structure (after an affiliate’s first 30 days).
A unilevel compensation structure places an affiliate at the top of a unilevel team, with every personally recruited affiliate placed directly under them (level 1):
If any level 1 affiliates recruit new affiliates, they are placed on level 2 of the original affiliate’s unilevel team.
If any level 2 affiliates recruit new affiliates, they are placed on level 3 and so on and so forth down a theoretical infinite number of levels.
Q Sciences cap payable unilevel levels at ten, with commissions paid out as a percentage of sales volume generated on each level of the unilevel team.
How many levels a Q Sciences affiliate earns on is determined by their rank:
- Q IBO – 5% on level 1 (personally recruited affiliates)
- Builder – 5% on levels 1 and 2
- Pro – 5% on levels 1 to 3
- Executive – 5% on levels 1 to 4
- Elite – 5% on levels 1 to 5
- Bronze – 5% on levels 1 to 5 and 4% on level 6
- Silver – 5% on levels 1 to 5, 4% on level 6 and 3% on level 7
- Gold – 5% on levels 1 to 5, 4% on level 6 and 3% on levels 7 and 8
- Platinum – 5% on levels 1 to 5, 4% on level 6, 3% on levels 7 and 8 and 2% on level 9
- Ruby and above – 5% on levels 1 to 5, 4% on level 6, 3% on levels 7 and 8, 2% on level 9 and 1% on level 10
Generation Matching Bonus
The Generation Matching Bonus allows a Q Sciences affiliate to earn a matching percentage of affiliates in their downline.
The Generation Matching Bonuses uses the unilevel team structure, with a generation in a unilevel leg defined when a Silver rank or higher affiliate is found.
A Q Sciences affiliate is able to earn a percentage match on up to six generations within a unilevel leg.
How many generations can be earned on is determined by affiliate rank as follows:
- Silver – 6% on the first generation
- Gold – 6% on the first generation and 5% on the second
- Platinum – 6% on the first generation and 5% on the second and third
- Ruby – 6% on the first generation, 5% on the second and third and 4% on the fourth
- Emerald – 6% on the first generation, 5% on the second and third, 4% on the fourth and 3% on the fifth
- Diamond or higher – 6% on the first generation, 5% on the second and third, 4% on the fourth, 3% on the fifth and 2% on the sixth
Rank Achievement Bonuses
Rank Achievement Bonuses are one-time bonuses Q Sciences affiliates receive for qualifying at specific ranks:
- Elite (within first 30 days) – $650 in product (wholesale) or $200 in cash
- Elite (outside of first 30 days) – $100
- Bronze – $1000 in product (wholesale)
Platinum and higher ranked affiliates receive shares in five Global Leadership Pools, each made up of “up to 0.5%” to Q Sciences company-wide sales volume.
Each pool corresponds to Q Sciences affiliate ranks beyond Platinum; Ruby, Emerald, Diamond and Crown.
An affiliate starts off earning a half-share in the Global Leadership Pool that corresponds with their rank.
Over “successive months” (no specific timeframe is provided), this half-share increases to a full share.
Once an affiliate is promoted in rank, the share in the lower-ranked pool is reduced to a half-share.
This would mean a Crown ranked affiliate would be able to earn one share in the Crown pool and half a share in the Diamond, Emerald, Ruby and Platinum pools.
Note that each affiliate is capped from earning a maximum 13% of any one Global Leadership Pool.
Customer Sales Bonus
The Customer Sales Bonus kicks in after a Q Sciences affiliate’s first 30 days with the company.
The Customer Sales Bonus is a 20% bonus commission on retail customer sales volume above 240 PV in any given month.
A further 18% is paid out up ten levels throughout the affiliate’s upline (reverse unilevel).
Power 30 Bonus Pool
The Power 30 Bonus Pool is made up of 2% of Q Sciences’ company-wide sales volume.
Shares in the Power 30 Bonus Pool are awarded when a Q Sciences affiliate recruits a new affiliate.
Multipliers effect how many shares an affiliate is awarded. A Q Sciences affiliate’s generated PV within their first 30 days and how much a newly recruited affiliate spends on their affiliate membership are the two determining factors.
- new affiliate generates 375-749 PV within their first 30 days = 2x multiplier
- new affiliate generates 750-1499 PV within their first 30 days = 3x multiplier
- new affiliate generates 1500 or more PV within their first 30 days = 5x multiplier
The first multiplier is calculated based on how much PV an affiliate generated within their first 30 days.
The second is calculated based on how much PV a recruited affiliate generated each week for four weeks.
Eg. If you generated 750 PV in your first 30 days, you are allocated a 3x multiplier.
If you then recruited a 1500 PV affiliate (5x), your shares for that week are 15 (3x multiplier = 3 shares, multiplied again by 5 = 15).
Note that any other affiliates recruited during that week will increase the amount of shared awarded accordingly.
The Lifestyle Bonus is paid to Gold and higher ranked Q Sciences affiliates. It starts off at $500 a month and increases by $150 every rank to Crown ($1500).
The Lifestyle Bonus can be put towards a car payment, monthly health insurance premium or 75% of the amount can be used to pay off “qualified debt”.
Joining Q Sciences
Basic affiliate membership with Q Sciences is $49.95 a month.
Affiliates can also purchase a “Business Acceleration Kit” for $484.95 to $1939.80.
In addition to bundled Q Sciences products, the Business Acceleration Kit increases income potential through the Q Sciences compensation plan.
Right off the bat Q Sciences affiliates are encouraged to spend big, with an interactive graph correlating how much they spend with a Power 30 Bonus Pool multiplier:
This is not only “pay to play”, but also sets the foundation for affiliate autoship recruitment.
By spending almost $2000 on their membership, a Q Sciences affiliate self-qualifies for commissions and maximizes their Power 30 Bonus. The Power 30 Bonus itself rewards affiliates with a maximum multiplier for then recruiting new affiliates who also spend $1939.80.
Commissions are further maximized with a 100 PV autoship order, which opens up levels 2 and 3 of the Fast Start Bonus.
20% of the autoship is paid back in points, which can be used to purchase more Q Sciences product. Definitely a positive incentive, but when combined with the rest of the compensation plan feels like an effort to ensure every Q Sciences affiliate is on autoship.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that in and of itself, but a focus on affiliate autoship recruitment always comes at the cost of retail.
In my opinion, Q Sciences paying affiliates $50 a month just for having three recruited affiliates on 100 PV a month autoship is asking for trouble.
One simple check for a prospective Q Sciences affiliate would be to ensure a potential Q Sciences upline affiliate has at least 40 PV a month in retail sales activity. This should be consistent over the past few months (taking into consideration how long the affiliate has been with the company).
Little to no retail PV would indicate a focus on affiliate autoship recruitment, which is something you want to stay well-clear of in MLM.
That said Q Sciences do a decent effort at encouraging retail. Unfortunately there’s no retail sales volume requirements, but the company does offer retail autoship incentives (free product) and the Customer Sales Bonus (20% on retail PV over 240).
As it stands though they are entirely optional bonuses and can be ignored in favor of affiliate autoship recruitment, which is a problem.
On the product side of things Q Sciences’ range is pretty robust. Health and wellness orientated, as are most MLM companies in Utah, Q Sciences products aren’t without their controversy.
A 2013 report from Salt Lake’s City Weekly documents a pretty damning example of MLM marketing gone wrong.
At an October charity walk in Salt Lake City’s Liberty Park, a cheerful woman is stopping passersby to tell them something miraculous:
“It’s for schizophrenia, it’s for bipolar, depression, autism, ADHD, ADD, SAD, OCD—any type of mental illness, these vitamins help.”
“It’s a vitamin that you take instead of taking your prescription meds,” the woman says with an enthusiastic smile.
This seeming miracle product is a micronutrient formula called EMPower Plus Q96, designed to provide vitamins that, the woman says, are lacking in the brains of those with mental illness.
A tragic example of what such marketing can lead to is provided further down later on in the article:
In 2011, in Vancouver, British Columbia, the parents of 27-year-old Jordan Ramsay decided they wanted to take their son, who had a long and troubled history with schizophrenia, off his medication in favor of using the EMPower Plus vitamin formula.
Ramsay also had a history of devolving into crisis when he was off his medication, and that pattern continued when he switched to taking only the EMPower Plus supplements.
In November 2011, Ramsay used a wrench to bludgeon his parents while they lay in bed, killing his 53-year-old father and severely injuring his mother.
Ramsay’s aunt later told media outside of a 2012 court hearing that Ramsay had believed his parents were aliens and he had to make sure they were dead.
This might very well be a case of a rogue Q Sciences affiliate, but if you were pitched EMPower Plus Q96 or any of Q Sciences products as a mental health alternative to medication: Run.
City Weekly sought comment from Daren Hogge, who said
he was upset to hear that a distributor selling the product was making such a claim.
In an e-mail, Hogge said the woman selling products at the Salt Lake City NAMI Walks would be suspended if the allegations were true. “Compliance is a very serious issue to Q Sciences,” Hogge says.
For their part, Q Sciences do provide an FDA disclaimer on the product section of their website.
I do feel compelled to bring up Hogge’s time in Genesis Pure, whose co-founder was recently sued for fraud in Texas and fined $9 million by the FTC a year later.
Rogue affiliates aside, one would hope Q Sciences marketing and that of their affiliates is above-board and closely monitored.
That aside, there’s definitely a lot to choose from in Q Sciences product offering. If you can carve out a market for the products, the Q Sciences compensation plan doesn’t swing completely into compliance issue territory.
There’s a decent amount to work with her, with much of Q Sciences public image dependent on the conduct of its affiliates. Keep that in mind if you’ve been approached by a Q Sciences affiliate and act accordingly.
Update 11th August 2018 – Owing to a compensation plan update earlier this year, BehindMLM published an updated Q Sciences review on August 10th, 2018.
Although the original product was great…..now most of their vitamin supplements are synthetic.
You really think your body knows the difference once it’s absorbed? Or is that just naturalistic fallacy talking?