Bomb Party Review: Bath bomb jewelry surprises
Bomb Party launched as Ring Bomb Party back in 2016. Circa late 2020, the company shortened its name to Bomb Party.
Bomb Party is based out of Alabama and operates in the jewelry MLM niche.
Heading up Bomb Party are co-founders Lillian and Bella Coleman.
As per Lillian Coleman’s Bomb Party corporate bio;
I … earned a degree in business marketing and graphic design, only to find myself confined by working for someone else and unable to pursue my passion.
My free spirit longed to fly. My family supported my dream, and with a $1,500 loan from my parents, I launched Moss+Crown, a collection of Southern inspired apparel for women.
Moss+Crown took off like wild fire and I was lucky enough to enlist my sister to keep up with the demand.
Isabella left nursing school to help me run the growing business and we never looked back. Three years later, Bomb Party was created.
Read on for a full review of Bomb Party’s MLM opportunity.
Bomb Party’s Products
Bomb Party market bath bombs, each filled with a selection of jewelry.
Again, as per Lillian Coleman’s Bomb Party corporate bio;
I returned to my design studio with an idea: create an entirely new concept in jewelry, a fizzy ring bomb revealed through LIVE parties that holds not just a gemstone but a finished piece of jewelry, designed custom and a complete surprise.
It was DIY at its finest. We had our first assembly line, creating ring bombs in our kitchen at home and taking our concept to Facebook.
It went viral within weeks and hit over one million views within a month!
Bomb Party’s jewelry bombs start at $19.95.
Pricing on Bomb Party’s website is a bit all over the place. Some collections are priced, such as this ruby selection from Bomb Party’s “Holiday Luxe Collection” ($39.95) each.
Other collections just show photographs with no pricing.
The “Originals Collection” appears to be Bomb Party’s staple. The company claims
Every month, we add more than 50 custom designs in up to 20 colorways to our Originals, each one handcrafted using only the finest lab-created stones, metals and findings.
You could even reveal diamonds y’all! Let’s fizz…
Provided value estimates for Bomb Party’s jewelry top out at $1500.
Inside every Bomb Party collection, we hide a handful of genuine diamond gemstone rings and necklaces valued at up to $1,500 each.
“Regular” jewelry however is priced at $25 to $500.
ARE THESE REAL? HOW ARE THESE ONLY $14.95?
Ring Bomb Party rings are 100% real!
We have rings valued between $25-$500 and are able to offer ring bombs at only $14.95 because we buy our rings in BULK at amazing prices from our top notch ring manufacturers!
As for technical details behind Bomb Party’s jewelry, details are provided in the company’s website FAQ:
What metals do you manufacture with?
Our rings are brass and many are either double or triple plated with rhodium, but we also have silver plated and .925 sterling.
All jewelry is nickel free.
Bomb Party’s Compensation Plan
Bomb Party’s compensation plan has steep monthly PV requirements.
Retail commissions are available, with residual commissions paid out via a shallow four-level deep unilevel team.
This is expanded by up to six generations per unilevel leg. Performance bonuses are available but only reward product credit.
Bomb Party Affiliate Ranks
There are fifteen ranks within Bomb Party’s compensation plan.
Along with their respective qualification criteria, they are as follows:
- Topaz Party Consultant – generate and maintain 350 PV a month
- Topaz Lead Consultant – generate and maintain 500 PV and 1500 GV a month
- Topaz Senior Consultant – generate and maintain 600 PV and 2500 GV a month
- Peridot Executive Consultant – generate and maintain 700 PV and 4000 GV a month, as well as one active leg
- Tanzanite Party Manager – generate and maintain 800 PV and 7000 GV a month, as well as one active leg and one leg with a Topaz Lead Consultant or higher in it
- Tanzanite Senior Manager – generate and maintain 900 PV and 12,000 GV a month, as well as one active leg and two legs with a Topaz Senior Consultant or higher in each
- Ruby Executive Manager – generate and maintain 1000 PV and 20,000 GV a month, as well as two active legs and two legs with a Peridot Executive Consultant or higher in each
- Aquamarine Senior Leader – maintain 1000 PV a month, generate and maintain 35,000 GV a month, and generate and maintain two active legs and two legs with a Tanzanite Party Manager or higher in each
- Aquamarine Executive Leader – maintain 1000 PV a month, generate and maintain 60,000 GV a month, and generate and maintain two active legs and two legs with a Tanzanite Senior Manager or higher in each
- Opal Premier Leader – maintain 1000 PV a month, generate and maintain 100,000 GV a month, and generate and maintain two active legs and two legs with a Ruby Executive Manager or higher in each
- Opal Star Leader – maintain 1000 PV a month, generate and maintain 200,000 GV a month, generate and maintain two legs with a Ruby Executive Manager or higher in each and two legs with an Aquamarine Senior Leader or higher in each, and satisfy NewGenQ requirements (see below)
- Diamond Silver Leader – maintain 1000 PV a month, generate and maintain 400,000 GV a month, generate and maintain two legs with a Ruby Executive Manager or higher in each and two legs with an Aquamarine Executive Leader or higher in each, and satisfy NewGenQ requirements (see below)
- Diamond Gold Leader – maintain 1000 PV a month, generate and maintain 800,000 GV a month, generate and maintain two legs with a Ruby Executive Manager or higher in each and two legs with an Opal Premier Leader or higher in each, and satisfy NewGenQ requirements (see below)
- Diamond Platinum Leader – maintain 1000 PV a month, generate and maintain 2,000,000 GV a month, generate and maintain two legs with a Tanzanite Party Manager or higher in each, two legs with an Aquamarine Executive Leader or higher in each and two legs with an Opal Star Leader or higher in each, and satisfy NewGenQ requirements (see below)
- Diamond Elite Leader – maintain 1000 PV a month, generate and maintain 5,000,000 GV a month, generate and maintain two legs with a Ruby Executive Manager or higher in each, two legs with an Opal Premier Leader or higher in each and two legs with a Diamond Silver Leader or higher in each, and satisfy NewGenQ requirements (see below)
PV stands for “Personal Volume” and is sales volume generated by retail sales and an affiliate’s own orders.
GV stands for “Group Volume” and is PV generated by an affiliate and their downline.
An “active leg” is a unilevel team leg that has at least one Topaz Party Consultant in it.
NewGenQ qualification requires a Bomb Party affiliate to generate one personally recruited Ruby Executive Manager over a rolling twelve-month period.
Note that from Peridot Executive Consultant, up to 50% of required monthly GV can come from PV or a single unilevel team leg.
Bomb Party affiliates earn 25% to 37.5% on sales volume generated by retail sales.
A Personal Sales Commission allows Bomb Party affiliates to earn an extra 10% on their retail sales volume:
- generate 2000 to 4999 PV in a month and receive a bonus 5% Personal Sales Commission rate
- generate 5000 to 6999 PV in a month and receive a bonus 8% Personal Sales Commission rate
- generate 7000 or more PV in a month and receive a bonus 10% Personal Sales Commission rate
Bomb Party pays residual commissions via a unilevel compensation structure.
A unilevel compensation structure places an affiliate at the top of a unilevel team, with every personally recruited affiliate placed directly under them (level 1):
If any level 1 affiliates recruit new affiliates, they are placed on level 2 of the original affiliate’s unilevel team.
If any level 2 affiliates recruit new affiliates, they are placed on level 3 and so on and so forth down a theoretical infinite number of levels.
Bomb Party caps payable unilevel team levels at four.
Residual commissions are paid out as a percentage of sales volume generated across these four levels based on rank:
- Topaz Party Consultants earn 2% on level 1 (personally recruited affiliates)
- Topaz Lead Consultants earn 3% on level 1
- Topaz Senior Consultants earn 5% on level 1
- Peridot Executive Consultants earn 6% on level 1 and 2% on level 2
- Tanzanite Party Managers earn 7% on level 1 and 3% on level 3
- Tanzanite Senior Managers earn 8% on level 1, 4% on level 2 and 2% on level 3
- Ruby Executive Managers earn 9% on level 1, 5% on level 2 and 3% on level 3
- Aquamarine Senior Leaders earn 9% on level 1, 6% on level 2, 4% on level 3 and 2% on level 4
- Aquamarine Executive Leaders earn 9% on level 1, 6% on level 2, 5% on level 3 and 3% on level 4
- Opal Premier Leaders and higher earn 9% on level 1, 6% on level 2, 5% on level 3 and 3% on level 4
The Generation Bonus is paid out using the same unilevel compensation structure residual commissions are paid out with (see above).
Bomb Party defines a generation when a Ruby Executive Manager or higher is found in a unilevel team leg.
The first Ruby Executive Manager or higher in a leg caps off the first generation for that leg. The second generation begins immediately after.
If a second Ruby Executive Manager or higher exists deeper in the leg, they cap off the second generation and the third begins after them.
If no such affiliate exists, the second generation runs the full depth of that leg.
Using this generational layout, Bomb Party affiliates are able to earn a Generation Bonus on up to six generations per unilevel team leg.
- Aquamarine Executive Leaders earn 2% on one generation
- Opal Premier Leaders earn 3% on the first generation and 2% on the second
- Opal Star Leaders earn 3% on the first and second generations and 2% on the third
- Diamond Silver Leaders earn 3% on the first to third generations and 2% on the fourth
- Diamond Gold Leaders earn 3% on the first to fourth generations and 2% on the fifth
- Diamond Platinum Leaders earn 3% on the first to fifth generations and 2% on the sixth
- Diamond Elite Leaders earn 3% on up to six generations per unilevel team leg
Fast Start Bonus
A Bomb Party affiliate’s Fast Start Bonus period is the rest of the month they signed up plus an additional three months.
The Fast Start Bonus rewards Bomb Party affiliate for qualifying at Topaz Senior Consultant or higher during their Fast Start Bonus period.
- qualify at Topaz Senior Consultant during your Fast Start Bonus period and receive $100 in product credit
- qualify at Peridot Executive Consultant during your Fast Start Bonus period and receive $150 in product credit
- qualify at Tanzanite Party Manager during your Fast Start Bonus period and receive $200 in product credit
There is also an upline component to the Fast Start Bonus:
- if a personally recruited affiliate qualifies for the first Fast Start Bonus tier, you receive $50 in product credit
- if a personally recruited affiliate qualifies for the second Fast Start Bonus tier, you receive $75 in product credit
- if a personally recruited affiliate qualifies for the third Fast Start Bonus tier, you receive $100 in product credit
Note that Fast Start Bonus tiers are accumulative.
Team Building Bonus
The Team Building Bonus rewards a Bomb Party affiliate for recruiting affiliates who sign up with a Boost or Launch Pack.
- recruit a Boost Pack affiliate and receive $50 in product credit
- recruit a Launch Pack affiliate and receive $100 in product credit
Note that the Team Building Bonus follows the Fast Start Bonus three-month qualification period.
Rank Achievement Bonus
Bomb Party rewards affiliates with a one-time $500 Rank Achievement Bonus when they qualify at Ruby Executive Manager.
Joining Bomb Party
Bomb Party appear to be intentionally hiding the cost of affiliate membership costs on their website.
These costs were disclosed at one point but have recently been removed.
I’m basing that statement off of a now defunct “become a party hostess” Google search result (no cache) and broken “Click here to see how easy and affordable it is to become an Independent Party Rep” link in Bomb Party’s website FAQ.
That same FAQ states;
Your Bomb Party business begins by ordering your Starter Kit–up to a $700 value!
We also recommend that you invest in initial inventory packs up to $350.
A search of social media revealed the following Bomb Party Starter Kit prices from mid 2020:
- Business Essentials – $99 ($150 worth of product)
- Boost Pack – $366 ($366 worth of product)
- Launch Pack – $599 ($629 worth of product)
The pitch includes the $99 Business Essentials cost to the Boost and Launch Packs, which could get us over the quoted “$700 value” FAQ figure.
Anyway take these 2020 prices as a guideline, give or take a swing of up to $100 either way.
Before penning this conclusion I sat back and had a long think about Bomb Party as a business.
The low-hanging fruit was, “who does this appeal to?” But after five years in business obviously someone.
Bomb Party’s rolling monthly PV requirements are pretty high, so it can’t just be affiliates funding themselves at a loss month after month.
What I realized was if you’re going to analyze Bomb Party, you have to see it for what it is: a marketing technique to sell (mostly) cheap jewelry.
That’s the business model. Outside of the lottery pieces, nobody is going to argue Bomb Party’s is comparative to mid to high end boutique purchases.
Will Bomb Party jewelry turn my skin green?
It’s rare, but it depends on your body chemistry. Rest assured, we double plate and coat our plated jewelry, to make it even more durable and tarnish resistant.
Green discoloration of the skin involves the pH and oils in your skin mixing with the metal of the ring band or necklace, so it’s not 100% preventable with some sensitive skin types.
You’re selling excitement, and that’s what’s conveyed in Bomb Party’s marketing message.
Unfortunately this still brought me back to “who does this appeal to?” And I suppose if I could distill that thought down even further, why are grown-ass adults getting excited about trinkets in bath bombs?
I’d expect this marketing technique to appeal to kids. It’s why those capsule gumball machines have been a thing for decades.
Pokemon cards etc. would be a more modern equivalent.
Low-cost goods + surprise = a marketing goldmine… when targeted at kids.
That said, while I can only attest to this marketing having absolutely no appeal to myself, if you approach Bomb Party as a little bit of fun, what’s the harm?
That’s the consumer angle I believe they’re going for. I’m reviewing the MLM business opportunity though, so there are things we need to take into consideration.
First, with respect to retail customers, a bit of fun is fine but is there going to be repeat business. And more importantly, enough to sustain at least 350 PV a month?
Bomb Party calculates PV at 75% of retail volume, so you’re looking at $263 in retail orders a month. Less if wholesale pricing is factored in.
That’s not bank-breaking but it will add up month after month if the retail sales aren’t there.
The potential for Bomb Party inventory loading reminded of LuLaRoe’s leggings lottery. Where affiliates were at risk of getting lumped with inventory they couldn’t move though, Bath Bomb’s model shifts that risk to consumers.
Product is masked in a bath bomb, so consumers have no idea what specific piece they’re getting (outside of specifying a collection).
This works for Bomb Party as returns are only accepted
if a stone falls out within 14 days of your receiving your product.
Don’t like your revealed jewelry? Too bad.
And this brings me my next point of contention. Typically, at least in my experience, if you’re getting someone jewelry you’re doing so with knowledge of what they like (ballpark or otherwise).
If jewelry isn’t your thing, pick any non-consumable vice (reminder: chocolate is consumable).
Now imagine a collection of this vice, numbering 20 or so and out of which you’re only interested in one or two.
From a consumer perspective, wouldn’t you rather pay for what you wanted over rolling the dice and getting something you weren’t really interest in?
At this point I was able to conclude who Bomb Party’s marketing is for:
People who value the surprise more than the actual jewelry they’re getting. I.e. they either don’t particularly care what they’re wearing, or can make anything work.
That’s who you’re selling to.
Now with that out of the way, Bomb Party’s compensation plan.
It’s pretty tight. As previously stated monthly PV is high but you’re only developing a small four-level deep team so I’d expect upline engagement to be high.
There is a half-hearted attempt to stop total inventory loading, by limiting required GV at 50% of one’s own PV.
This cap would be far more effective if it was applied to PV. I think the reason it isn’t is the expectation affiliates are purchasing inventory to hold reveal parties with.
After your LIVE Ring Reveal party, we mail out your gorgeous ring the next business day at no additional charge!
Affiliates need only carry stock from collections. They don’t need to carry specific pieces.
This is a bit of a double-edged sword.
Inventory loading can be encouraged to commission qualify. It can also discourage inventory loading if existing bath bombs haven’t been sold yet (no need to buy more of the same collection if you haven’t sold the bombs you’ve got).
I did like recruitment commissions being tied to product credit. This really incentivizes the business as opposed to recruitment as product credit isn’t much use to those recruiting over retail.
One thing I want to commend Bomb Party on is their transition to virtual events.
There is no doubt a large chunk of Bomb Party’s appeal is sitting around with friends enjoying the excitement factor. COVID-19 makes holding these events in people’s homes a non-starter.
To their credit Bomb Party haven’t just pivoted to virtual events, they’ve updated their marketing to reflect that. I think that’s really responsible in the current climate and it’s great to see.
Demonstrating a commitment to moving with the environment, a Bomb Party app is on the way, promising to streamline the virtual experience.
A virtual reveal isn’t going to capture the same excitement and surprise of a live event but this is a business that’s shown it’s not afraid to pivot when required. That’s a good reflection on company management.
One last thing I want to comment on is the company’s name.
You’ll want to make it absolutely clear and upfront about what Bomb Party is if you marketing it by name. I know that’s the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw it.
Bath bombs are very much a western cultural thing and I imagine should Bomb Party expand internationally, to the middle-east for example, they’d probably be looking at a name-change.
All in all Bomb Party’s MLM opportunity targets a specific demographic and it’s either all or nothing. Either “the chase” appeals more to you than acquiring what you want or it doesn’t.